A study showed that preterm infants developed a robust early link between language and cognition, revealing that this vulnerable population begins life with a strong foundation for linking language and meaning.
This study helps to understand the roles of infants` early experience and maturational status in establishing this critical language-cognition link, said Sandra Waxman from the Northwestern University in Illinois, US.
The team compared healthy preterm and full-term infants at the same maturational age or age since conception to identify the developmental timing of their link between language and object categorisation.
The results revealed that the preterm infants also have an opportunity to acquire an extra month of postnatal experience listening to language, as compared with their full-term counterparts.
Pediatric evidence reveals that although healthy preterm infants reach some developmental milestones on the same maturational timetable as their full-term peers, they nevertheless tend to encounter obstacles in language, cognitive and attentional processing capacities.
This is evident in their use of early intervention services from infancy through school age, the researchers said.
“However, the study provides assurance that whatever obstacles preterm infants face in later language and cognitive development, these are unlikely to reflect difficulties in establishing the foundational link between language and core cognitive processes,” explained Danielle Perszyk from the Northwestern University.
- COVID-19: Active cases drop to 74,735 in Kerala - October 26, 2021
- Ayushman Bharat Health Infrastructure Mission: Everything you must know about ‘India’s largest health infra scheme’ - October 26, 2021
- Moderna to supply Africa with up to 110 million COVID doses - October 26, 2021
- India committed to supplying COVID-19 vaccines to other nations - October 25, 2021
- Mamata Banerjee asks people to wear mask to prevent spike in Covid cases - October 25, 2021
- Dengue cases in Delhi cross 1,000-mark; over 280 fresh cases in one week - October 25, 2021
- China to start vaccinating children to age 3 as cases spread - October 25, 2021
- Prioritise your oral health to enjoy cavity-free Diwali - October 25, 2021
- Life expectancy in India dropped by two years due to COVID-19: Study - October 23, 2021
- US’ work with India on vaccine manufacturing saving people’s lives, says DFC chief - October 23, 2021