(HealthDay)—For patients with primary central nervous system lymphoma (PCNSL), the incidence of venous thromboembolism (VTE) and major bleeding is high, according to a study published in the November issue of Leukemia & Lymphoma.
Anjlee Mahajan, M.D., from the University of California Davis School of Medicine in Sacramento, and colleagues determined the cumulative incidence of VTE and major bleeding using California hospitalization data for 992 PCNSL patients using the California Cancer Registry (2005 to 2014).
The researchers found that the 12-month cumulative incidence of VTE and major bleeding was 13.6 and 12.4 percent, respectively. An increased risk for VTE was seen in association with chemotherapy and radiation therapy (hazard ratios, 2.41 and 1.56, respectively). The risk for major bleeding was increased in association with pulmonary embolism and proximal deep vein thrombosis, likely due to anticoagulation. Increased mortality was seen in association with pulmonary embolism and major bleeding (hazard ratios, 1.61 and 2.36, respectively).
“Development of a clinical prediction model for both VTE and major bleeding in patients with PCNSL may also help guide decisions on thromboprophylaxis which could mitigate the need for therapeutic anticoagulation in this high risk population,” the authors write.
Incidence of VTE, major bleeding high in primary CNS lymphoma
Abstract/Full Text (subscription or payment may be required)
Copyright © 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Rates of VTE, major bleeding high in primary CNS lymphoma (2020, November 20)
retrieved 21 November 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Diabetes In Youth - June 14, 2021
- Diabesity: The dreadful combination of diabetes and obesity - June 1, 2021
- क्यों जरूरी है स्वास्थ्य बीमा - May 24, 2021
- Diabetic Foot: Do Not Ignore It! - May 24, 2021
- Health risks of tobacco consumption and ways to quit smoking - May 17, 2021
- Eminem – Stronger Than I Was - May 12, 2021
- Dj Dark – Chill Vibes - May 12, 2021
- Leona Lewis – Bleeding Love (Dj Dark & Adrian Funk Remix) - May 12, 2021
- Silicon Valley Guru Affected by the Fulminant Slashed - May 12, 2021
- Watch Awesome Kate Go Full Cooking Pro in England this Week - May 12, 2021