The antiviral drug remdesivir, considered one of the most promising Covid-19 treatments, turns out to do little to prevent deaths from the disease, according to a WHO-backed study.
Remdesivir, which was part of the experimental cocktail given to US President Donald Trump when he caught the new coronavirus last month, was one of several reviewed in a large study of more than 11,000 people across 30 countries.
The drug “appeared to have little or no effect on hospitalised COVID-19, as indicated by overall mortality, initiation of ventilation and duration of hospital stay,” said the study posted online late Thursday.
The data, which has yet to be peer-reviewed or published in a scientific journal, seems to contradict at least two major US studies that have shown that remdesivir can reduce the duration of hospital stays for COVID-19 patients.
Washington authorised the emergency use of the medicine, made by US pharmaceutical company Gilead Sciences and originally intended as a treatment for Ebola—on May 1, followed by a range of other countries and the European Union.
Canada OKs remdesivir for use against coronavirus
© 2020 AFP
Remdesivir has ‘little or no effect’ on Covid-19 mortality: WHO study (2020, October 16)
retrieved 16 October 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Health Tips: Increase Immunity With Natural Antibiotics, May Reduce Chances Of Disease - October 23, 2020
- Restrictions tightened, but no new virus lockdown in Belgium - October 23, 2020
- Unlicensed flu vaccine will not be available for use until December, MHRA says - October 23, 2020
- भारत में पहली बार हींग उगाने की कवायद हुई तेज, जानिए मसालों की शृखंला में क्यों है अहम - October 23, 2020
- What Is the Survival Rate of Retinoblastoma? - October 23, 2020
- Ind Swift Laboratories Ltd QA QC Production and Packing Formulation Jobs - October 23, 2020
- Second virus wave could be worst than first: France hospital boss - October 23, 2020
- World Sight Day 2020 - October 23, 2020
- Health Tips: These Drinks May Be Helpful For Excessive Weight, Know How To Prepare - October 23, 2020
- COVID-19 lockdown reduced mental health, sleep, exercise - October 23, 2020