Russia on Saturday said that it recorded more than 10,000 deaths from the coronavirus pandemic, a toll that is still far lower than in other countries with major outbreaks.
The number of deaths has now reached 10,027, the government information website said, up by 168 from Friday.
Russia has confirmed 674,515 cases, the third largest total in the world, although the daily infection rate has been falling over the last month.
The country’s death toll is much lower than in other countries with large outbreaks, raising questions over possible underreporting of deaths.
Russia has acknowledged that the death figure on the government website only includes cases where the virus was classed as the main cause of death on the death certificate.
The official statistics agency has released national death data for April alone, where the toll—of 2,712—is more than double the government’s total of 1,152 for that month.
That is because it uses a broader definition on the basis of World Health Organization recommendations and includes cases where the victim tested positive but the virus was not classified as the main cause of death, or where there was no positive test but an autopsy ruled the virus was the main cause of death.
Moscow city health department also released data on deaths in May using this method of classification, showing 5,260 virus-related deaths that month.
By contrast, the government website still says that some 3,929 people in total have died so far from the virus just in Moscow.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
Russia announces virus deaths exceed 10,000 (2020, July 4)
retrieved 4 July 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- प्रदेश के बिगड़े वन क्षेत्रों के पुनर्स्थापन के लिए निजी निवेशकों को दिया जाएगा जिम्मा -वनमंत्री कुंवर विजय शाह - October 24, 2020
- Early Appendicitis Symptoms, Signs, Treatment, Causes & Surgery - October 24, 2020
- Germany virus death toll passes 10,000: health institute - October 24, 2020
- नये विश्वविद्यालयों के भवन हाईराईज बनें - October 24, 2020
- Nagpur College Pharmacy 18 posts Faculty Recruitment - October 24, 2020
- Abbott MPharm PhD Work as Regulatory Affairs Head - October 24, 2020
- US sees daily record of nearly 80,000 new COVID-19 cases - October 24, 2020
- Vitamin A Boosts Fat Burning In Cold Conditions, Study Shows Hope For Obesity | मोटापा के इलाज की जगी उम्मीद, शोध में खुलासा - October 24, 2020
- Anesthetic Uses, Addiction & Withdrawal - October 24, 2020
- Biden pledges free Covid vaccine for ‘everyone’ in US if elected - October 24, 2020