Moscow on Sunday confirmed its first case of the new UK coronavirus strain, despite an earlier decision by officials to suspend flights from Britain to stop the mutation reaching Russia.
One person returning to Russia from the UK was found to have been infected with the new strain, the head of Russia’s health regulator Rospotrebnadzor told state-run television.
Watchdog head Anna Popova did not specify when the individual tested positive for coronavirus or any other circumstances surrounding the discovery.
The B117 coronavirus strain is thought to have first emerged in southeastern England late last year, and has since been detected in dozens of countries around the world.
Officials in Moscow temporarily suspended flights to and from the UK in December, following a similar move by dozens of other countries in the wake of the emergence of the new strain.
Russia has one of the highest infection rates in the world and officials on Sunday confirmed a total of nearly 3.5 million cases.
Health officials last month admitted the country’s virus toll was much higher than previously reported, making Russia the third-worst hit globally.
The Kremlin has placed its hope on the homegrown Sputnik V vaccine to counter the pandemic instead of the return to lockdown measures being imposed in many other European countries.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
Russia confirms first case of new UK virus strain (2021, January 10)
retrieved 10 January 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Hair Care Tips: Here Are Adverse Side-effects Of Bleaching And Colouring Your Hair - January 21, 2021
- Strict Low-Carb Diets Could Push Type 2 Diabetes Into Remission, But Effect Fades - January 21, 2021
- Brain pressure disorder that causes headache, vision problems on rise - January 21, 2021
- Toddler Tantrums? Pediatricians Offer Tips to Curb Bad Behavior - January 21, 2021
- Do You Like Having Fried Food? Here You Should Know How Much It Is Risky For Heart - January 21, 2021
- At 106, woman among earliest vaccine recipients in Brazil - January 21, 2021
- Tata Memorial Centre Job for Pharmacist - January 21, 2021
- Stressed Out By the News? Here’s Tips to Help Cope - January 21, 2021
- NOVICK BIOSCIENCES PVT LTD Urgent Openings for Development Quality Assurance DQA Department Apply Now - January 21, 2021
- While Using Mushrooms Can Keep You At Bay From Many Health Issues, Here Are Major Benefits - January 21, 2021