SATURDAY, Jan. 16, 2021 — If you’re trying to decide whether to have your child tested for COVID-19, talk with your pediatrician, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) suggests.
Children and teens with COVID-19 symptoms should be tested immediately. This is especially important if they’re going to school, playing sports or have in-person jobs, according to the academy.
Testing is also recommended before medical procedures such as surgery.
Some states require testing for SARS-CoV-2 after a person travels outside the state or country.
The AAP recommends waiting to test for at least four days after a child has been in close contact with someone who has COVID-19 — so long as the child has no symptoms.
Close contact means having been within 6 feet of a person with confirmed or probable COVID-19 for a total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period, the AAP said.
There are three main types of COVID-19 tests. Molecular and antigen tests check for active infections, while antibody tests show whether a person has been infected in the past. Your child’s doctor can explain what each test does and when tests can be most useful.
Many test locations can provide results within one to three days; some provide same-day results.
After your child has a test, it’s important for you to discuss results with the doctor and learn what to do next, according to the academy.
Anyone with a positive antibody test should continue following safety measures such as wearing face coverings and physical distancing, the AAP stressed.
The academy said antibody tests should not be used to make decisions about entering or returning to group settings like schools, child care or dorms.
© 2021 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: January 2021
Further Support and Information on COVID-19
More News Resources
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.
- Essential Eye-Care Tips For A Safe Diwali - October 27, 2021
- Mansukh Mandaviya to hold meeting with state health ministers - October 27, 2021
- COVID-19: Kerala logs 7,163 new cases, 482 deaths - October 27, 2021
- Govt plans to invest Rs 100 cr per district to upgrade healthcare infra - October 27, 2021
- COVID-19: Active cases drop to 74,735 in Kerala - October 26, 2021
- Ayushman Bharat Health Infrastructure Mission: Everything you must know about ‘India’s largest health infra scheme’ - October 26, 2021
- Moderna to supply Africa with up to 110 million COVID doses - October 26, 2021
- India committed to supplying COVID-19 vaccines to other nations - October 25, 2021
- Mamata Banerjee asks people to wear mask to prevent spike in Covid cases - October 25, 2021
- Dengue cases in Delhi cross 1,000-mark; over 280 fresh cases in one week - October 25, 2021