The second week of September began on a promising note for India with the daily Covid caseload witnessing a minor drop on Monday. The country saw 38,948 new Covid-19 infections in a span of 24 hours, the government report says. One of the major reliefs is in terms of Covid fatalities. India on Monday saw 219 corona deaths in the last 24 hours. This is a big respite. Is there a connection between increasing vaccination coverage and the declining number of Covid deaths is being probed by the experts. However, the country again is slipping into the lower test bracket. The ICMR data says that a little over 14 lakh Covid tests were carried out on September 5.
When will the coronavirus pandemic end? When asked this question, World Health Organization chief Tedros Ghebreyesu had a very simple answer – whenever we want! For those who think that we are stuck in an ending cycle of viral transmission, there is just one hope – speedy and extensive vaccination around the globe. And if we look at the cumulative data from various nations, we would find that the situation not only remains grim but also shows no sign of improving, at least for now. FE Online analysed the latest figures updated by ‘Our World in Data’. What we discovered was a shocking level of disparity. As of now, only 40 per cent of the total world population has received the Covid jabs. And when compared to the rich nations, just 1.8 per cent population in the low-income nations have got at least one dose of coronavirus vaccine.
With many affluent nations opting for booster shots, others will remain vulnerable to Covid-19 infections. It will not help us in breaking the chain, leave alone achieving the elusive herd immunity. Unless we increase the vaccination coverage significantly, we will keep seeing new variants and fresh outbreaks.
- Molbio’s Nipah test kit gets DCGI approval - September 9, 2021
- 61 test negative for Nipah so far: Kerala Health Minister Veena George - September 9, 2021
- RT-PCR accounted for over 70 percent tests conducted in Delhi in last five months - September 9, 2021
- Punjab govt to open 300 new Opioid Assisted Treatment centres to tackle drug addiction - September 9, 2021
- Over five crore people vaccinated in Madhya Pradesh so far - September 9, 2021
- BMC issues new Ganpati festival norms – No pandal darshan, curbs on yatra participants across Mumbai - September 8, 2021
- Early screening & risk assessment through breakthrough technologies - September 8, 2021
- 30 test negative for Nipah so far: Kerala Health Minister Veena George - September 8, 2021
- 88 oxygen generation plants functional in MP, says CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan - September 8, 2021
- Efforts grow to stamp out use of parasite drug for COVID-19 - September 8, 2021