Slovenia’s government said on Monday it was joining other European nations in suspending use of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 jab as a precaution over blood clot fears.
Germany, France, Italy and Spain have all previously announced similar decisions, following several Nordic countries, the Netherlands, Ireland and Bulgaria.
Health Minister Janez Poklukar said the government had taken the decision in order to “ensure the highest possible level” of safety.
“There is no medical expertise justifying this halt” but it is a preventive measure pending an opinion from the European Medicines Agency (EMA), he said.
The European Medicines Agency says it is examining the vaccine and has set an emergency meeting for Thursday.
The World Health Organization, whose experts will meet on Tuesday, said people should keep on taking the jab “for the time being”.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
Slovenia halts AstraZeneca jab as precaution (2021, March 15)
retrieved 16 March 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- COVID case rates hit new high for England, study finds - April 7, 2022
- Govt’s focus on affordable healthcare ensured significant savings for poor, middle class: PM Modi - April 7, 2022
- SRL Diagnostics and Skye Air Mobility collaborate to transport pathology samples using drone logistics - April 6, 2022
- Healthineers sets up new production line of CT scanners in Bengaluru under PLI scheme - April 6, 2022
- Lupin inks licensing pact with Alvion to market drugs in Southeast Asia - April 6, 2022
- Yoga Mahotsav: Ayush Ministry to organise event to demonstrate common yoga on World Health Day - April 6, 2022
- LordsMed forays into the medtech space with launch of health ATMs ‘Lords Sehat’ - April 5, 2022
- ‘Friendly viruses’ can be the next big thing in the history of medical research and more - April 5, 2022
- No setback to Bharat Biotech even as WHO suspends Covaxin UN supply: Sources - April 4, 2022
- Govt panel recommends Serum’s Covovax dose for kids aged 12 and above - April 4, 2022