(HealthDay)—Cumulative cigarette smoke exposure is an independent risk factor for hospital admission and death from COVID-19, according to a research letter published online Jan. 25 in JAMA Internal Medicine.
Katherine E. Lowe, from the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, and colleagues evaluated the association between cumulative smoking exposure, as measured by pack-years, and the outcomes for 7,102 patients who tested positive for COVID-19 between March 8 and Aug. 25, 2020.
The researchers found that 84.8 percent were never smokers, 2.4 percent were current smokers, and 12.8 percent were former smokers. There was a dose-response association noted between pack-years and adverse COVID-19 outcomes, with patients who smoked for more than 30 pack-years having 2.25 times higher odds of hospitalization and 1.89 times higher odds of dying following a COVID-19 diagnosis versus never smokers. The odds for all adverse outcomes were attenuated in the mediation models, in part by comorbidities. Similar odds ratios were seen for both current and former smokers.
“Smoking is imperfectly classified in patient electronic medical records, and former smokers are potentially classified as never smokers, while pack-years may be underrecorded,” the authors write. “However, this misclassification is likely to bias the present results toward the null, which would underestimate the association of cigarette smoking on adverse COVID-19 outcomes.”
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
Copyright © 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Smoking history tied to worse COVID-19 outcomes (2021, January 26)
retrieved 26 January 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Testing kits can detect Omicron: Mylab - November 30, 2021
- Can RT-PCR tests detect Omicron variant infection? - November 30, 2021
- Moderna CEO warns COVID-19 shots less effective against Omicron, spooks markets - November 30, 2021
- Mandatory face masks in force as Omicron cases rise to 14 in UK - November 30, 2021
- Delhi: Seven Covid deaths in November - November 30, 2021
- 116 more test COVID positive at Karnataka’s medical college - November 26, 2021
- Slip Disc Surgery performed on awake patient - November 26, 2021
- Serum Institute resumes COVID-19 vaccine exports - November 26, 2021
- Mild third wave of COVID-19 pandemic likely in December: Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope - November 25, 2021
- Putin tests experimental nasal vaccine against COVID-19 - November 25, 2021