The number of people in South Africa who have tested positive for coronavirus has topped 700,000, official figures showed overnight, another grim milestone for the continent’s worst-hit country.
Statistics released by the health ministry showed 2,019 new COVID-19 cases on Friday, taking the country’s total to 700,203.
Its total number of coronavirus-related deaths rose to 18,370 after 61 more were registered over the 24-hour reporting period.
South Africa accounts for around 43 percent of the continent’s diagnosed infections, followed by Morocco which has more than 160,000.
Its weekly average number of cases has been ticking up at around two percent, lower than the continent’s seven percent average increase over the past month, according to the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC).
South Africa experienced its peak between July and August when daily new cases averaged around 12,000.
Strict lockdown rules and travel restrictions have since been eased, however Health Minister Zweli Mkhize has cautioned against complacency.
“We cannot tell whether we will get a second wave or not but the risk is there,” the minister told local media early this week.
“At this moment, we have not seen a rise that is indicating there is a second wave but we can’t say people must be complacent.”
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
South Africa passes 700,000 coronavirus cases (2020, October 17)
retrieved 17 October 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Europe surges again this week - October 24, 2020
- Could Common Asthma Meds Weaken Bones? - October 24, 2020
- Over 53,000 New Cases In A Day As India’s Covid Tally Passes 78 Lakh-Mark - October 24, 2020
- Team Gemini gives disabled children something to cheer about - October 24, 2020
- Vital Pharma Walk Ins for QA Head IPQA Production Pellets Departments Apply Now - October 24, 2020
- Troikaa Pharmaceuticals ltd Urgent Hiring MPharm Freshers for Trainee Officer Regulatory Affairs - October 24, 2020
- Covid-19 Vaccine: First Vaccine Will Be At Least 60 Per Cent Effective, Bharat Biotech Claims - October 24, 2020
- Do Halloween masks protect you from COVID-19? - October 24, 2020
- Winter Superfoods: Consume These Food For Immunity Boost Without Gaining Weight - October 24, 2020
- Conditions It Diagnoses & Disadvantages - October 24, 2020