The use of the AstraZeneca vaccine to protect against COVID-19 in Spain will be widened to include people aged 66-69, the health ministry announced Thursday.
Amid fears the jab may cause blood clots, the government had on Wednesday limited the vaccine to 60-65 year-olds.
“The aim is to complete the inoculation of the people who are most vulnerable to COVID-19 as soon as possible,” a ministry statement said Thursday.
The move was made based on advice from Europe’s medicines regulator EMA which has encouraged countries to continue using the AstraZeneca product, saying its benefits outweigh the risks
The ministry said a decision would be taken soon on how to proceed with people under 60 who have already received one of the two recommended doses of the vaccine.
Madrid hopes to have 70 percent of the population vaccinated by August in line with the EU target.
But so far it has vaccinated under seven percent of its 47 million people with two doses and administered over 9.8 million doses in total.
Spain is among the European countries hardest-hit by the pandemic with more than 3.2 million infections and over 76,000 deaths.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
Spain widens age limit for AstraZeneca jabs (2021, April 8)
retrieved 9 April 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- AHA News: Waist Size May Better Predict AFib Risk in Men - April 16, 2021
- अब तक 69 लाख 69 हजार नागरिकों का हुआ वैक्सीनेशन - April 16, 2021
- Study reveals how some antibodies can broadly neutralize ebolaviruses - April 16, 2021
- ‘Magic Mushroom’ Hallucinogen as Good as Antidepressants: Study - April 16, 2021
- ऑक्सीजन टैंकर्स के लिये भी बनेगा ग्रीन कॉरीडोर, पायलेटिंग भी होगी - April 16, 2021
- Study estimates duration of employment loss experienced by adults with kidney failure - April 16, 2021
- JustLuxe Launches Yacht Showroom in Partnership with YATCO - April 16, 2021
- Rashes Can Occur After COVID Vaccine, But Dermatologists Say ‘Don’t Worry’ - April 16, 2021
- आर्सेनिक एल्ब-30 का वितरण करायेगा आयुष विभाग - April 16, 2021
- How common is stroke in people critically ill with COVID-19? - April 16, 2021