August, 2020: Every year, we celebrate National Day of Sports to honour and commemorate the spirit of legendary sportsperson, Major Dhyan Chand who is regarded as the nation’s greatest hockey playerever. The day was instituted to educate India’s youth on the importance of being fit and healthy, by practicing sports and other physical activities.
Along with a focused approach towards one’s fitness levels, it is equally important to supplement this routine with good nutrition, a balanced diet, and healthy snacking. Good nutrition paves the way to a healthy lifestyle, and is a small investment towards long-term health. This can be achieved, by simply making small, yet relevant and impactful changes to the diet like adding a handful of almonds.
Stressing on the need to eat right to complement one’s sports schedule, Ritika Samaddar, Regional Head – Dietetics, Max Healthcare – Delhi, said, “The amount, composition and choice of food intake can profoundly affect a sports performance. Balancing nutritional needs while practicing a sport or form of exercise is very important as it helps build the foundation for success. A handful of almonds make for the perfect post-workout sport snack, as they provide energy and are known to have satiating properties. Additionally, Almonds also contain healthy fats which are required by the body, and are a good source of protein, which will help enable your sports routine.”
According toMadhuri Ruia, Pilates Expert and Diet & Nutrition Consultant, “Sports and physical exercise are very important for the body’s overall growth and development.But, to optimize your physical training it’s essential to consume balanced and nutritious diets including healthy snacks. Fuel your routine with a handful of almonds, which along with being nutritious also promote heart health. According to a recent research from King’s College London, snacking on almonds everyday improved endothelial function of the arteries and also lowered “bad” LDL-cholesterol – both key indicators of heart health.”
Highlighting the need to snack right while engaging in physical activities, Sheela Krishnaswamy, Nutrition and Wellness Consultant, said, “said, “People in India are increasingly understanding the significance of sports and regular physical activity. More so now, as there is a greater interest around immunity especially with regard to foods and practices that can help strengthen it. Research has also suggested that regular moderate intensity exercise can also strengthen immunity. This is important more so for children, as they continue to attend online classes at home without much physical activity. Parents must ensure that they setup a routine, so that the child engages in some sort of sport/physical activity every day. Also, be sure to augment this routine by adding snacks like almonds to the child’s diet. Almonds are a source of zinc, folate and iron, all nutrients that are known to contribute to a normal function of the immune system.”
Fueling the body with the right foods is essential while playing any sport or even maintaining a proper fitness routine. This year, take a pledge and commit to your health goals by eating well and staying fit.
- Could Common Asthma Meds Weaken Bones? - October 24, 2020
- Over 53,000 New Cases In A Day As India’s Covid Tally Passes 78 Lakh-Mark - October 24, 2020
- Team Gemini gives disabled children something to cheer about - October 24, 2020
- Troikaa Pharmaceuticals ltd Urgent Hiring MPharm Freshers for Trainee Officer Regulatory Affairs - October 24, 2020
- Covid-19 Vaccine: First Vaccine Will Be At Least 60 Per Cent Effective, Bharat Biotech Claims - October 24, 2020
- Do Halloween masks protect you from COVID-19? - October 24, 2020
- Winter Superfoods: Consume These Food For Immunity Boost Without Gaining Weight - October 24, 2020
- Conditions It Diagnoses & Disadvantages - October 24, 2020
- Too many countries in ‘exponential’ virus surge: WHO - October 24, 2020
- Coffee, Green Tea Might Extend Life for Folks With Type 2 Diabetes - October 24, 2020