The brain’s auditory system tracks the speed and location of moving sounds in the same way the visual system tracks moving objects. The study recently published in eNeuro lays the groundwork for more detailed research on how humans hear in dynamic environments.
People who use hearing aids have trouble discriminating sounds in busy environments. Understanding if and how the auditory system tracks moving sounds is vital to improving hearing aid technology. Prior research utilizing eye movements to gauge whether the brain is following the trajectory of a moving sound indicates it cannot. A new study from García-Uceda Calvo et al. instead used head movements, a more accurate measure of sound tracking.
The team analyzed head movements of hearing participants as they tracked randomly moving sounds in a dark room. Their analysis revealed humans follow moving sounds, with great accuracy. The auditory system actively tracks the velocity of a sound, just like the visual system, rather than changes in position. The participants improved their sound tracking ability over the course of the experiment, a sign the auditory system was picking up on hidden patterns in the sound trajectories and making predictions.
These results indicate the brain possess cells and circuits dedicated to tracking the velocity of sounds.
Visual cues amplify sound
Adaptive Response Behavior in the Pursuit of Unpredictably Moving Sounds, eNeuro, DOI: 10.1523/ENEURO.0556-20.2021
The auditory system tracks moving sounds (2021, April 19)
retrieved 19 April 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Have Allergies? See If You’re at Risk for Severe COVID Vaccine Reaction - April 23, 2021
- A new method for fighting ‘cold’ tumors - April 23, 2021
- Mind Beauty on Why It's Harder to Wear a Mask in the Heat but Important Nonetheless - April 23, 2021
- Elevations RTC Highlights An Inclusive Campus Life - April 23, 2021
- The ThinOptics Vision Visionary: Gadi PontÃ - April 23, 2021
- A Plus From the Pandemic: Fewer Kids Using E-Cigarettes - April 23, 2021
- Double down on health and fitness with Garmin’s Venu 2 Series GPS smartwatch - April 23, 2021
- कोरोना संक्रमण चेन को तोड़ने में सहयोग करें जन-प्रतिनिधि: मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान - April 22, 2021
- Deepika Padukone’s 20-20-20 Fitness Mantra, Secret To Staying Slim Trim - April 22, 2021
- List of Top Pharma Companies in Chennai  - April 22, 2021