Turkey on Thursday reported more than 40,000 new coronavirus infections, its highest daily figure since the start of the pandemic over a year ago.
The 40,806 new cases and 176 deaths mean Turkey is now in the throes of a third wave of the outbreak, which has officially killed 31,713 people in the nation of 83 million.
Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said this week that 75 percent of the new infections in Turkey were of the British variant, which is more infectious than previous strains.
The rising numbers forced President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Monday to announce a tightening of restrictions that had been eased at the start of March.
Erdogan said full weekend lockdowns would be in place during the holy month of Ramadan, which is due to run from mid-April until mid-May.
Restaurants will be open for delivery and takeaway only, putting the breaks on Erdogan’s efforts to put the economy back on track.
Much of Turkey has plunged into the high-risk infection zone, including the capital Ankara and Istanbul.
Turkey’s inoculation effort, meanwhile, has slowed down after a fast start, with 9.3 million people given one dose and seven million the full two doses by late Thursday.
Turkey has relied almost exclusively on the Chinese firm Sinovac’s CoronaVac jab since launching its campaign in mid-January.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
Turkey logs most infections since start of pandemic (2021, April 1)
retrieved 1 April 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- ‘Magic Mushroom’ Hallucinogen as Good as Antidepressants: Study - April 16, 2021
- ऑक्सीजन टैंकर्स के लिये भी बनेगा ग्रीन कॉरीडोर, पायलेटिंग भी होगी - April 16, 2021
- Study estimates duration of employment loss experienced by adults with kidney failure - April 16, 2021
- JustLuxe Launches Yacht Showroom in Partnership with YATCO - April 16, 2021
- Rashes Can Occur After COVID Vaccine, But Dermatologists Say ‘Don’t Worry’ - April 16, 2021
- आर्सेनिक एल्ब-30 का वितरण करायेगा आयुष विभाग - April 16, 2021
- How common is stroke in people critically ill with COVID-19? - April 16, 2021
- Even Before COVID, Many More People Died Early in U.S. Versus Europe - April 16, 2021
- एम्स में कोविड मरीजों के लिये बढ़ेंगे बेड - April 16, 2021
- France’s COVID-19 deaths pass 100,000 - April 16, 2021