THURSDAY, April 8, 2021 — Two COVID-19 vaccines appear to work well against a rapidly spreading coronavirus variant that arose in California, but less effective against a variant that first emerged in South Africa, researchers report.
“The good news is the California variant does not appear to be a problem for our current vaccines,” said study author David Montefiori, director of the Laboratory for AIDS Vaccine Research and Development at Duke University, in Durham, N.C.
“That’s important to know because this variant is now as prevalent in the U.S. as the U.K. variant, both of which appear to be more contagious,” he added.
For the study, researchers tested blood samples from people who had received either the Moderna vaccine now being used in the United States or a vaccine candidate from Novovax that’s expected to be considered for U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval within weeks.
When the blood samples from people who received both doses of the Moderna vaccine were exposed to the California variant, the vaccine remained strongly protective. The Novovax vaccine also performed well against it.
The California variant has spread rapidly throughout the United States and 25 other countries.
Unfortunately, both vaccines showed significant declines in effectiveness against the South Africa variant, according to the research letter published April 7 in the New England Journal of Medicine.
While researchers didn’t test the Pfizer vaccine, they said the findings would be comparable to those for the Moderna vaccine because both use similar technology.
© 2021 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: April 2021
Further Support and Information on COVID-19
More News Resources
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.
- Cellular impact of ‘Heat not Burn’ products may be no less harmful than cigarettes - April 20, 2021
- Pandemic Stress Keeps Many From Exercising - April 20, 2021
- प्रदेश के 9 मेडिकल कॉलेज में लगेगी सीटी, एमआरआई मशीन - April 20, 2021
- Set up national registry to capture pharma company payments to clinicians and patient support groups - April 20, 2021
- Health Highlights, April 19, 2021 - April 20, 2021
- दवाएँ खरीदते समय उपभोक्ता करें अपने अधिकारों का उपयोग- प्रमुख सचिव श्री किदवई - April 20, 2021
- Scientists identify protein that could serve as a therapeutic target in lung cancer - April 20, 2021
- L.A.’s Oil Wells Could Be Harming Citizens’ Health - April 20, 2021
- ऑक्सीजन आपूर्ति के लिए जिला प्रशासन का अनूठा प्रयास - April 20, 2021
- Federal policy to reduce deaths from sepsis was mostly ineffective - April 20, 2021