(HealthDay)—Actual COVID-19 infection rates in many areas of the United States are more than 10 times higher than reported rates, a U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study suggests.
That difference was highest in Missouri. As of April 26, about 2.6 percent of people (6,800) in the state were reported to have been infected, but CDC data show the actual number was about 24 times higher, at nearly 162,000, according to The New York Times. As of April 1, New York City had reported 53,800 cases, but the actual number of infections was 12 times higher, at nearly 642,000, the CDC study found.
“This study underscores that there are probably a lot of people infected without knowing it, likely because they have mild or asymptomatic infection,” study leader Fiona Havers, M.D., told The Times. “But those people could still spread it to others.”
Even in areas hard hit by COVID-19, most people have not been infected, noted Scott Hensley, Ph.D., a viral immunologist at the University of Pennsylvania who was not involved in the study. “Many of us are sitting ducks who are still susceptible to second waves,” he told The Times.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
The New York Times Article
Copyright © 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
U.S. COVID-19 rates much higher than reported (2020, June 29)
retrieved 29 June 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Diabetes In Youth - June 14, 2021
- Diabesity: The dreadful combination of diabetes and obesity - June 1, 2021
- क्यों जरूरी है स्वास्थ्य बीमा - May 24, 2021
- Diabetic Foot: Do Not Ignore It! - May 24, 2021
- Health risks of tobacco consumption and ways to quit smoking - May 17, 2021
- Eminem – Stronger Than I Was - May 12, 2021
- Dj Dark – Chill Vibes - May 12, 2021
- Leona Lewis – Bleeding Love (Dj Dark & Adrian Funk Remix) - May 12, 2021
- Silicon Valley Guru Affected by the Fulminant Slashed - May 12, 2021
- Watch Awesome Kate Go Full Cooking Pro in England this Week - May 12, 2021