The United States hit a new record for coronavirus cases Friday, notching nearly 290,000 in a span of 24 hours, according to a real-time tally by Johns Hopkins University.
The country, the hardest-hit in the world by the COVID-19 pandemic, also recorded 3,676 virus deaths in the same day, the Baltimore-based university said.
The day before, the US had recorded a record of nearly 4,000 deaths in 24 hours.
Some 131,000 people are currently hospitalized in the US for COVID-19, according to the COVID Tracking Project.
The world’s largest economy has recorded 21.8 million coronavirus cases and more than 368,000 deaths since the start of the pandemic.
The country, where health restrictions vary drastically between localities, is ultimately counting on a massive vaccination campaign begun in mid-December to bring the health crisis to an end.
But the effort is running behind, with just under six million people having received the first of two injections in the country of 330 million.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
US sets new record with nearly 290,000 COVID cases in 24 hours (2021, January 9)
retrieved 9 January 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- While Using Mushrooms Can Keep You At Bay From Many Health Issues, Here Are Major Benefits - January 21, 2021
- Dubai orders hospitals to cancel surgeries amid virus surge - January 21, 2021
- Getting the COVID-19 Vaccine? A Good Night’s Sleep Will Help - January 21, 2021
- Covid-19 Vaccine: टीका लगवाने के बाद आपको क्या करना चाहिए और किन बातों से बचना चाहिए, यहां लें पूरी जानकारी - January 21, 2021
- Don’t panic, you’ll get vaccine, says WHO - January 21, 2021
- America Sees COVID-19 Deaths Top 400,000, While New Variants Worry Scientists - January 21, 2021
- Chile approves Chinese coronavirus vaccine - January 21, 2021
- HINDYS LAB PVT LTD WalkIn Drive for Production on 21st Jan 2021 - January 21, 2021
- Ipca Laboratories Ltd WalkIn Interviews for Quality Control on 23rd Jan 2021 - January 21, 2021
- Dental Practices Rebound as U.S. Dentists Look Forward to COVID-19 Vaccine - January 21, 2021