Signs and symptoms of costochondritis
Sometimes costochondritis builds slowly, but it can also appear suddenly and make its presence known with chest pain on the left side. Since the pain occurs near the location of your heart, you might worry that you’re experiencing a heart attack. It’s important to check in at a clinic to help you rule out this possibility if you’re experiencing other severe symptoms.
Costochondritis presents a couple of warning signs and symptoms that you’ll want to recognize:
The most noticeable symptom, chest pain, can be moderate to severe and may develop into a sharp, stabbing sensation. You feel this pain to the left of your sternum, and you might also feel a lot of pressure. In some cases, the pain may spread toward your shoulder and upper back.
Your chest pain may worsen when you cough, sneeze, or take deep breaths. It might also feel worse when you lay down to sleep or if you’re doing anything strenuous like heavy lifting or intense exercise.
The other main symptom of costochondritis is tenderness when pushing down on your sternum and rib joints. This tenderness or soreness is due to the inflammation affecting your costal cartilage, and it becomes more intense the more pressure you apply to the area.
These two symptoms, chest pain and tenderness, can also apply to a rare but similar condition called Tietze syndrome. The main difference between these conditions is that Tietze causes swelling at the site of inflammation, along with occasional redness. There is no swelling associated with the pain and tenderness of costochondritis.
In addition, Tietze is more common in children and young adults, and it affects the area between the second and third rib. Costochondritis, on the other hand, affects multiple cartilage sites from the second through fifth rib joints.
- Essential Eye-Care Tips For A Safe Diwali - October 27, 2021
- Mansukh Mandaviya to hold meeting with state health ministers - October 27, 2021
- COVID-19: Kerala logs 7,163 new cases, 482 deaths - October 27, 2021
- Govt plans to invest Rs 100 cr per district to upgrade healthcare infra - October 27, 2021
- COVID-19: Active cases drop to 74,735 in Kerala - October 26, 2021
- Ayushman Bharat Health Infrastructure Mission: Everything you must know about ‘India’s largest health infra scheme’ - October 26, 2021
- Moderna to supply Africa with up to 110 million COVID doses - October 26, 2021
- India committed to supplying COVID-19 vaccines to other nations - October 25, 2021
- Mamata Banerjee asks people to wear mask to prevent spike in Covid cases - October 25, 2021
- Dengue cases in Delhi cross 1,000-mark; over 280 fresh cases in one week - October 25, 2021