April is Parkinson’s Disease Awareness Month, which makes this a good time to learn more about this progressive nervous system disorder.
An estimated 1 million people in the U.S. and more than 10 million people worldwide are living with Parkinson’s disease, according to the American Parkinson Disease Association.
The signs and symptoms of Parkinson’s disease can be different for everyone. Early signs can be mild and go unnoticed. Symptoms often begin on one side of your body and usually remain worse on that side, even after symptoms begin to affect both sides. People with Parkinson’s disease can experience tremor, slowed movement, rigid muscles, speech and writing changes, and impaired posture and balance.
Risk factors for Parkinson’s disease include:
- Age: Young adults rarely experience Parkinson’s disease. It ordinarily begins in middle or later life, and the risk increases with age. People usually develop the disease when they are 60 or older.
- Heredity: Having a close relative with Parkinson’s disease increases the chances that you’ll develop the disease. However, your risks are still small, unless you have many relatives in your family with Parkinson’s disease.
- Sex: Men are more likely to develop Parkinson’s disease than women.
- Exposure to toxins: Ongoing exposure to herbicides and pesticides can slightly increase your risk of Parkinson’s disease.
Convincing evidence that type 2 diabetes is associated with increased risk of Parkinson’s
©2021 Mayo Clinic News Network
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC
What do you know about Parkinson’s disease? (2021, April 7)
retrieved 7 April 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Heavy energy drink consumption linked to heart failure in a young man - April 16, 2021
- AHA News: Waist Size May Better Predict AFib Risk in Men - April 16, 2021
- अब तक 69 लाख 69 हजार नागरिकों का हुआ वैक्सीनेशन - April 16, 2021
- Study reveals how some antibodies can broadly neutralize ebolaviruses - April 16, 2021
- ‘Magic Mushroom’ Hallucinogen as Good as Antidepressants: Study - April 16, 2021
- ऑक्सीजन टैंकर्स के लिये भी बनेगा ग्रीन कॉरीडोर, पायलेटिंग भी होगी - April 16, 2021
- Study estimates duration of employment loss experienced by adults with kidney failure - April 16, 2021
- JustLuxe Launches Yacht Showroom in Partnership with YATCO - April 16, 2021
- Rashes Can Occur After COVID Vaccine, But Dermatologists Say ‘Don’t Worry’ - April 16, 2021
- आर्सेनिक एल्ब-30 का वितरण करायेगा आयुष विभाग - April 16, 2021